On my "life's best" list, food is number one, hands down. It's then probably followed by music and traveling. Nothing else comes remotely close. Traveling probably gets a credit boost for being so closely tied to food.
Lemon butter sole crepe -- St. Malo, Normandy
Prosciutto, thyme and lemon pasta -- Rome
Indian/Pakistani food -- New Tayyabs, London
Definitely 600+ calories (French toast -- Universal Cafe, SF) I'm going to try my best to explain my complete devotion to food the best way I can, because I just don't think some people understand, and I don't even know if I'm capable of doing it justice.
I eat a lot.
I'm known amongst all my friends to eat a lot. My nickname while studying abroad in Paris was "Jaba." My regular nickname is a food item. Despite the fact that my work pays for all my meals Monday through Friday and I don't ever buy groceries, I still manage to spend hundreds of dollars a month on food. This isn't just some hormonal or chemical tragedy.
Brodard Chateau, Orange County I love the sensory aspects -- visuals, the smells, the textures, the amazing spectrum of taste.
I love the science and the art behind the creation, the manipulation of ingredients and the innovation in cooking methods and styles.
Thanksgiving in London = Skype video session with mom in Chicago for step-by-step guide to making the perfect turkeyI love the social implications behind food. It's a form of identity, homely comfort, and social/cultural interaction.

Perhaps one of the best things about food is sharing. It does something to us that I can't quite explain. Food is a labor of love.
Think of the last time you really craved something specific -- whether it's a regional cuisine, something from your grandma, or whatever other gastronomic void you needed to fill. Maybe you were hung over, sick, or simply starving. Think of when you satisfied that thirst. That moment is fucking amazing.
The first few months that I moved to San Francisco, I tried the whole pescatarian thing, considering there are tons of vegetarian options at work and the city is so vegetarian friendly. I did well for a couple of months, eating out often at vegetarian or vegan restaurants.
I've since given up, for the most part. I've now admitted to being an "aspiring pescatarian" that consumes meat when I deem appropriate. And by appropriate, I mean "special occasions" that involve eating at particular restaurants and/or certain dishes outside of my normal routine.
Chacuteries = special occasion (Fernandez and Wells, London) How the fuck are you going to eat Asian food without eating meat. I mean.. I am in San Francisco. A gastronomical heaven.
I've concluded that I'm just not willing to give it up.
I'm not willing to give up yakitori.
I'm not willing to give up lu rou fan (滷肉飯).
I'm not willing to give up Taiwanese sausages or In-n-Out.
I'm not willing to give up duck confit or peiking duck.
I'm not willing to give up chorizo.
Fuck giving up dimsum too.
If you've seen my face when I take the first bite of something that hits the spot (my food o-face), maybe you'll get a hint of what I'm trying to communicate.
You'll never see me happier.













wow i am famished right now... i would give my left leg to take a bite of anything in your photos right now
ReplyDeletei'm so glad i shared so many good food memories with you...
ReplyDelete