Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Criminal negligence


I have forsaken thee, mine blog. So much that it's practically criminal.
I was surprised to find out that people have still been trying to access my older blog (xanga), which I managed to update incredibly consistently through the course of 5 or 6 years. Yet, at the same time, I think my blog now is of a very different nature, consisting less of daily ramblings and focusing more on focused topics that require more than 5 minutes of thought.

Why the extended hiatus, you ask?
L-fucking-SAT. That, combined with trying to work more than 40 hours a week so I can save money, combined with trying to have time for my beloved manfriend 400 miles away (which necessarily involves scheduled video-calls and plane rides), now combined with house-hunting (lease is up in less than a month) is a fucking trip.


This kind of trip, it is not.

There is nothing particularly new to discuss about the LSAT, nor is there anything really worth mentioning regarding work (other than the fact that my team pretty much got wiped out and my favorite people are leaving). Al is always lovely and maintains my sanity (and occasionally tests it, but what else would love be?).

But

Housing. Man, fucking housing. Looking for housing in San Francisco (no, not East Bay, not South Bay, not even fucking West SF because you guys just don't count, with your asses way the hell 5 miles over) is probably one of the most ridiculous ordeals that man man will ever suffer, comparable to surviving the bubonic plague. Trying to find a bedroom in SF was harder than landing my current job. Open houses were always packed and awkward, and interviewing to be a potential roommate turned out more to be like a talent show or popularity contest than a practical decision on who wasn't fucking insane and poor.

"So," this hipster, I-live-on-the-corner-of-Dolores-hipster-fucking-Park-and-act-it girl asked me at her open house, "If you were to make a book into a movie that hasn't already been made, what would it be?"

Within 3 seconds, I replied, "The Dice Man. Heard of it?"

"No."

"It's a 1970's cult classic about abandoning all human inhibition. Sex, drugs, rape, murder. A psychologist begins a religion based on pure chance at the hands of a die."

"Ooh... interesting. ..."

Oh, interesting? That's it? Had no follow up? Pretty sure nobody beat that answer, that effortlessly. Yet I was not chosen. Despite my willingness to pay $1200/month for a damn room and my obviously sound mind, not to mention that she was totally impressed with my knowledge of the Bay music scene for having just moved there. That's why we are not roommates. Beez ass beez. Who asks that kind of shit to fill a room. You're not a coop full of screenwriters and aspiring actors. And if you were, you better damn well know The Dice Man. Because that book needs a damn screenplay, even (or, especially) if it's a shitty, low-budget effort.

And the movie poster will look exactly like this.


And she was no exception. So many people interviewing for roommates seem to have settled themselves on some type of pedestal, obviously feigning interest in the potential tenants they were speaking to, or just lifting their noses to their wine glass, sipping some shit and talking about the gentrification of the neighborhood. That, or it's just one big mess of an open house and everyone is just fighting for a chance to get a word in.

Anyway, that pretty much sums up the experience I have with room-hunting in the heart of San Francisco. I guess you pay for what you get -- namely, location. Thankfully, this time around, I have the roommates, just not the house. Hopefully it'll be less like surviving the plague and more like convincing the Ganja-treat-vendors at Dolores Park that you really don't want their treats.

Even if it's banana bread.

Or blueberry muffins.


Really. I don't want it.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.lukerhinehart.net/Making-Dice-Film.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chou: I have yet to see lemon bars. Can't imagine it tasting very good.

    ReplyDelete